After the first successful european stops of the Elvis Digital Asset Management Tour we have learned a few interesting things from our audience. It seems that both marketing teams and creative teams share a few major frustrations when it comes to creating, producing and sharing brochures, banners, graphics and more. We have learned that 2 major themes specifically are of interest to these people.
Ever since we started developing Elvis DAM, we knew that a great performance needed to be one of our strong points. Especially since a lack of search performance in most legacy DAM systems was one of the most frequently heard complaints when we were discussing our original ideas for Elvis with customers.
In the last 4 years, we increased the Elvis performance with every major release. But the asset repositories of our customers did increase as well.. So we recently decided to test Elvis DAM to see how it performs with large numbers of users and large repositories.
In my previous blog I promised to discuss a scripting sample. Well, here it is.
A common problem in production systems is the following: there are many template layouts, all having the same style definitions. Once you need to update a style definition, you need to make the change in every single template layout, which is a lot of work.
(BTW Instead of creating many different template layouts having the same styles, you could also create a single template layout with multiple masters in it. This prevents the duplication of style definitions and you would not have the problem above).
The manual method of updating all templates would be:
- designate one of the template documents as the master in which you have made the required style changes
- query all template documents
- open the first template document
- update the style definitions by importing all (text) styles from the designated master document
- save and close the template document
- repeat this for all other templates