Digital Asset Management
2 Minutes of reading
Success Story - Buzzfeed
- The organization is able to work in sync.
- Workflows have become simpler and faster.
- A streamlined process to generate revenue by licensing and sharing content with other publishers has been implemented.
Got any questions?
About the customer
BuzzFeed is the most famous digital-first news and lifestyle publication in the world, famed for both its viral content and serious, hard-hitting reporting.
BuzzFeed is a startup culture, which has grown fast and by necessity needed to (re)create workflows and systems as they scaled. Until relatively recently, many people in the organization had either not been aware of Digital Asset Management, or not been aware of the benefits such a solution could bring.
This led to a situation in which the organization:
- Was working with tools that didn’t have visual capabilities, particularly important as they brought on more staff photographers.
- Had no way to distribute assets, and instead were relying on email and Google Drive.
There was one more challenge to overcome, and that was how to convince management of the ROI of WoodWing Assets.
The key breakthrough in this conversation was when the rights team put forward a compelling case that implementing DAM would not only save money, due to a single source of truth and clear workflows, but also become a revenue driver.
Leveraging DAM as a revenue driver is related to the fact that BuzzFeed generates vast amounts of original content (especially photography) that they earn revenue from by licensing out to other publishers. This is a differentiator for the business, as they source content that other publishers don’t have. But without some way to store and manage rights information, including what they could license out, to which organizations, and under which circumstances, was a time-consuming process.
However, with WoodWing Assets, having all the rights management data stored in one place ensured that relevant people within the organization would always know what they could and could not sell, unlocking value for the organization.
We are thrilled to see our DAM solution being adopted by Buzzfeed to drive both their internal efficiency, as well as to support their content syndication business.
John Roderick, SVP - Strategic Partnerships, WoodWing USA
Results & benefits
With a single source of truth that houses all the right information, Buzzfeed has seen the following benefits.
- The organization can work in sync.
- Workflow is much faster - photographers or content creators now source viral content, upload to WoodWing Assets with the associated rights metadata already attached, and then send out an email blast to let people know what content is available.
- Content reuse has been improved across the entire organization, meaning more value is generated from content, as well as repetitive internal requests being reduced.
- Legal risks are reduced, since rights information is easily accessible.
- Remote collaboration - with photographers on-site or staff working at home due to Covid - is much faster, since creators can upload their images and enable editors to select or work on images immediately.
Discuss your challenges with one of our experts
Looking for a game-changing solution? Reach out to our sales team today and unlock your potential!
"Among the most appreciated features are the storage space, the simplicity, and the ease with which it can be linked to our custom PIM"
Valentina BonviniMarketing Communication Manager
We help you to take charge of your content with our world-class content and information management solutions.