How to pursue an omnichannel content strategy
Spot channel-centric hangovers holding you back
The first step to adopting an omnichannel content strategy - underpinned by the channel-neutral approach - is to audit your current processes.
Many publishers are held back by processes that have evolved over time. Often these are print-centric workflows that have been adapted to take digital media into account. They may work… but they are unlikely to be as efficient as a fit-for-purpose workflow designed from scratch.
Look for bottlenecks, pain points and friction - these are telltale signs that something’s wrong. A holistic review of content production is the best way to streamline workflows and increase efficiency.
Another hangover from print-centric thinking is staff structure. Employees are often siloed in teams based on publication channel - think ‘print team’, ‘digital team’, ‘social media team’ etc.
In your omnichannel content strategy, it doesn’t make sense to restrict staff to print or digital roles. By implementing a channel-neutral workflow, staff can work on content for multiple channels simultaneously.
And - by providing them with a streamlined system for easily producing print and digital content - they can focus on great storytelling rather than duplicating effort with channel-specific tasks.
Blue-sky your ideal workflows
Next, start thinking about what your ideal editorial and publishing workflow would look like.
- Do you really need to prepare copy for print before repurposing it for the web? Or would you rather do it at the same time?
- Should there be channel-specific staff that manages all of the content for individual media? Or should individuals be responsible for their own stories on every channel?
- Will you centralize published content to repurpose it for different brands? Or will you plan content with different brands in mind from the start?
Map out different workflows and test them with key stakeholders from different teams.
Transform new processes with content creation software
Once you’ve mapped your channel-neutral staff structure and workflow, it’s time to investigate available technology. The right content creation tool can deliver efficiency, productivity and scalability to your operations.
WoodWing Studio is an example of content creation software. It empowers publishers - of any size - to create content for multiple print and digital channels in a fraction of the time.
Our content-first, channel-neutral approach focuses on creating content that people want to read; then simultaneously creating publish-ready variants for print, online, and in-app use.
And all within a single workflow that integrates your planning, editing, design, and publishing tools effortlessly. It’s a multichannel publishing miracle!
It starts with your story.
- Input copy into WoodWing Studio’s text editor
- Collaborate with colleagues until it’s approved
- Attach images from your DAM
- Dispatch to your preset templates for print, webpages, and more
- WoodWing Studio creates draft designs for your approval or further edits
- Publish directly from WoodWing Studio: a) To your CMS or app b) Or send print-ready artwork to your print partner
- Tag and store published content for easy discoverability for reuse and repurposing
It really is that easy to make your content stretch further and multiply your ROI per piece.
Content generation doesn’t get any easier than it does with our streamlined content creation software.