For brilliant-but-busy agencies, effective digital asset management can save money, time, and stress. Imagine, all of your images, videos, and artwork accessible in no more than three clicks, from anywhere in the world.
If you’re putting off implementing DAM in your business – perhaps because you think it will be time-consuming and tricky – think again. Depending on your needs, DAM systems can be implemented in as little as a few weeks. Here’s how.
Step 1: Shortlist and select
The first step to successfully implementing DAM is to find the right system for your agency.
There are lots of excellent products on the market, all offering similar core functionality but with their own particular strengths.
To select the right DAM system for your business, you need to work out exactly what you need it to deliver. Here are some ways to work that out:
- Speak to your creatives and project managers about the challenges the software needs to solve – what typically causes them delays and frustrations?
- Consider the nature of your assets – some DAMs have specific functionality for different file types, such as video or InDesign files.
- Look at your existing software stack – check for compatibility and integrations.
- Think about the future – does the software offer scope to scale securely and cost-effectively?
Step 2: Appoint and explore
Step 3: Plan and prepare
- Administrators – the people able to edit the DAM system itself and everything within it
- Editors – people able to upload and edit assets within the system
- Users – people with fewer privileges, such as download or preview only
- Will you have one central store for all of your clients or segment it into individual client portals?
- What categories will you use to structure how assets are stored? For example: nature, portraiture, landscapes
- What filters will you use to make search results easier to sort through?
- What’s the best way to collect metadata about the assets? User input or AI?
- Once you’ve decided these key factors, your DAM supplier will be able to activate that within the system, ready for you to check and test.