Because of the size of the implementation, involving over 800 seats, we've also looked closely to the total cost of ownership of the solution.
You are here
Consistent innovation in publishing
Hearst is a legendary name in the publishing world. Hearst Magazines, a unit of Hearst Corporation, is one of the world´s largest publishers of monthly magazines. For the creation of the print, tablet and mobile editions of its famous titles, the U.S. subsidiary of Hearst Magazines relies on WoodWing's multi-channel publishing system Enterprise.
Download this customer case study
Today, all titles created by Hearst Magazines are available on the major tablet and mobile platforms.
- Replacement of a legacy system to meet modern publishing needs.
- Implementation of a true multi-channel publishing system for today and into the future.
- High efficiency in the creation of content for multiple digital platforms.
- Excellent cost efficiency, low cost of ownership.
- Streamlined editorial review and quality assurance process.
WoodWing solutions used
- WoodWing Enterprise
The customer at a glance
- Since its founding in 1887, Hearst has grown into one of the world's most admired private media and information companies.
- The company is structured into seven divisions, including newspapers, magazines, business media, broadcasting and entertainment & syndication.
- Hearst Magazines is one of the world's largest publishers of monthly magazines, with 21 U.S. titles and nearly 300 international editions.
- The titles of Hearst Magazines are frequently honored with industry awards such as the National Magazine Awards.
- Hearst Magazines was a pioneer in tablet publishing – today all titles are available on the major tablet platforms and the company is consistently innovating the space.
- Migration to a true multi-channel publishing solution to streamline the production workflow for print and digital issues, replacing a legacy publishing system.
- Building a streamlined and cost-effective solution for collecting, storing, creating, publishing, distributing and archiving the vast array of content.
- The system should enable efficient publication of content to all major channels, including print, tablets, mobile and social media.
The text editor in Content Station enables editors to easily and efficiently create content for various channels.
" Migrating to a multichannel publishing solution allowed Hearst Magazines to enjoy a streamlined production workflow, especially when it comes to creating digital edition content for various mobile platforms. "
Michael K. Sweet, CEO of eMerge Consulting
- The team spent about six months evaluating Enterprise against the existing system. The conclusion was that switching to Enterprise was more attractive than upgrading the legacy solution.
- In addition to cost, stability and ease of use, the powerful Smart Connection plug-ins for InDesign and InCopy were an important decision factor.
- Enterprise offered the features that enabled Hearst to quickly enter the tablet and mobile publishing arena.
- Another positive aspect was the easy access to WoodWing´s experienced partners as well as the WoodWing team.
- After the successful implementation of three pilot projects, all publications were migrated to WoodWing Enterprise – this was completed in just six months.
- As the team already had experience with content management, training was minimal.
- Enterprise is integrated with the page planning system Publisher Studio.
- The system is also integrated with Scriba, an XML workflow-automation tool developed by eMerge Consulting.
- WoodWing Enterprise manages the workflows for print, tablet and some mobile editions of the magazines.
- Thanks to the blended creation of print, tablet and mobile issues, efficiency of the editorial workflows has been increased significantly.
- The Artboard feature of WoodWing's Digital Publishing Tools has proven to be an important tool for efficient creation of content for different screen formats.
- Having the ability to easily and efficiently manage media-rich content for the large number of supported devices ensures the production schedule runs in a timely manner.
- Enterprise requires little management, and very little involvement of IT teams.
- The system also streamlines the editorial review and quality assurance process, essential to each publication's daily routine.
The eMerge Consulting team members are industry-acknowledged experts in the editorial systems integration, digital publishing and XML workflow marketplace. Specializing in systems integration, custom development and publishing systems support, the eMerge team has a long history of providing its customers with the highest level of service possible. eMerge applies industry-leading expertise and innovative technology to help companies meet today’s complex digital content delivery demands and prepare them for tomorrow’s challenges. eMerge provides customer-centric, scalable solutions that streamline the management and flow of information, allowing its clients to unlock the power and value of their content.
Get in touch to learn more about how multi-channel publishing can help you save costs and improve quality.